Shakes – can they help with weight loss?
Tricky meal planning
Meal planning, as part of a slimming or ongoing weight management programme, which ensures that you are receiving optimal nutrition and a broad spectrum of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients every day, can be difficult for a number of reasons:
- you may be limited to a certain number of calories per day, making it problematic to eat high amounts of even fruits and vegetables
- you may not be entirely clear on what nutrients you need, in which quantities and/or where to find them
- you may not have the time to plan and prepare all meals in advance, particularly if you are eating up to 6 times a day
- you may not have the budget to purchase the required amounts of fresh, organic produce every day, needed for optimum nutrient intake
- you may not have the time to, for example, prepare fresh juices every day, which can help with the digestion of large quantities of fresh, raw produce and can be a good source of nutrients
- you may have a medical condition, digestive complaint, food allergy or intolerance, which means that your choice of foods is limited
- you may be a vegetarian or vegan, making it more difficult to eat a high protein diet which can support weight loss.
Making life easier
If one or more of the above applies to you, don’t worry! There are ways to ensure that you still get the nutrients you need to secure healthy weight loss for the long-term.
High quality meal shakes and protein powders can be an invaluable slimming tool because, not only are they quick and easy to prepare and drink, if you pick the right product they are also packed with nutrients (such as vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre) and are naturally low in fat.
They provide a convenient and reliable way for you to access high levels of nutrients every day, without having to worry about the calories.
Organic superfood shakes (or “green shakes”), for example, allow you to take in nutrient-dense, fibre-rich fruits and vegetables in quantities that would otherwise be unrealistic on a daily basis.
Vegan-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free light meal shakes can provide a healthy breakfast or snack on the go, even for those people with specific dietary requirements. These types of healthy snacks can help to keep you fuller for longer, staving off cravings and bingeing.
Protein shakes, made from complete, natural and balanced plant-based protein sources (such as hemp, pea or rice) can make it far easier to implement a high-protein diet that supports slimming, because you do not have the high fat content of meat and other animal products.
The convenience offered by these daily food supplements means that there is no longer any excuse to skip meals. It couldn’t be easier for you to meet your optimal nutrient intake on a daily basis, while still sticking to your healthy weight management programme.
Ensuring your weight loss success
When it comes to healthy slimming, finding the best approach can be often be daunting and can sometimes lead to “information overload”. There are so many, often conflicting, information resources on weight loss and the weight management process.
But slimming needn’t be complicated – there are some basic rules that you need to follow. However, always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified health practitioner before changing your diet, implementing a new exercise regime or taking health supplements.
Firstly, knowledge is power.
Losing weight in a healthy way and for the long-term involves you taking proactive steps to better understand:
- your own body and how it works
- how your body reacts to what you put in it
- the ways in which existing medical conditions and/or allergies or intolerances can affect the weight management process
- your metabolism
- your daily nutritional requirements
- how health supplements, including meal shakes and protein powders, can support the slimming process.
Nobody is going to lose weight for you and nobody knows your body and how it feels and works better than you. While the above may sound daunting, it really isn’t. The more information you have, the better placed you will be to achieve your health and weight goals. The fact that you have the power to make the desired changes yourself should be empowering!
Take it slowly – you won’t learn everything you need to know in one week. Start by finding a product you like, carry out additional research on the ingredients yourself through reliable online resources. It can also be useful to use high quality meal plans in the early stages, to guide you while you are still learning about how to eat a balanced diet.
Here’s to your long-term weight loss success.
For more information, visit our main website